My most treasured memories with family and friends have been around special occasions, especially Christmas. I find particular joy in creating a magical festive table as the centrepiece and place to gather, to eat and to celebrate. The surprise and smiles on my guests faces, as they enter the room or garden I’ve created, is why I do what I do.
When I was a young boy, we lived on a busy main road, and my bedroom window was visible from the street. Every Christmas I would set up a display inside the window with flashing lights and decorative elements from around the house. Dad was an electrician and would always have some coloured lights floating around in the shed. I would use vintage amber jars and anything else I could find to create my little festive window.
The joy of creating visual displays as a boy continued into adulthood. My skills led me to be appointed the Head of Visual Merchandising for Bonds and Adidas. Further to this, I was Head Stylist for the opening of Uniqlo at the Melbourne Emporium.
I left the corporate world and moved to Daylesford permanently a few years ago. This created opportunities to put my talents and passions to use in the local region and eventually set up my own business, Wreaths Daylesford.
The natural environment and access to amazing local flowers, foliage and materials inspire all my wreaths and designs. When visiting, be sure to check out the Daylesford Macedon Flower Farm Trail, created by Consortium Botanicus. You’ll find some of the most stunning seasonal flowers.
I find setting a table to be a very relaxing and satisfying process. A table isn’t just about eating amazing local produce; it’s about serving a feast for the eyes and other senses. I like to have my guests feel as though they’re dining at a stunning restaurant and want them to walk away with lasting memories and a beautiful experience.
Wreaths Daylesford creates wreaths and floral arrangements for all occasions and seasons.
They provide styling services for special events and weddings around Daylesford, Macedon Ranges and across Melbourne. Enquire with Wreaths Daylesford to create your festive table setting, wreaths and floral arrangements that will ‘wow’ your guests and make them feel extra special this Christmas.
Top 10 tips for creating a stunning table setting at home:
- Create natural elements from any flowers, trees or plants in your garden or surrounds.
- Start with your flowers and base everything around the floral colours.
- Create an aesthetic that can easily be styled to suit the décor of your own home. Tie your Christmas table back to the theme of your Christmas tree.
- Use 2-3 dominant colours and one accent of colour.
- Think both colour and texture.
- Collect glass jars, mix and match in various heights and shapes.
- Keep your plates simple. Elegant whites will make your florals pop.
- If you don’t have time to sew or can’t, purchase some natural linen to create napkins, cut to size and as the linen frays, it will become a feature.
- Look for anything else in your home that you can use to support the table decoration.
- Be confident.
GET THE LOOK
Fishnet glassware, stone and white Hale Mercantile Co linen, rattan hat, throw and candles care of Ecasa Daylesford. ecasadaylesford.com.au
Gold bush bouquet tablecloth and napkins care of House of Heras. houseofheras.com