The Lake House Daylesford is unarguably one of the top restaurants in Victoria.
In 2018 it was awarded two Hats in the Good Food Guide and features on the Good Wine List. Robin Wilson, Beverage Director at the Lake House, gives us the inside word on the wine industry in the region and his top drop recommendations.
How would you describe wine produced in this region?
The region is defined by altitude and, as such, we make cool-climate grape varieties exceptionally well. While the area is probably most renowned for Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, we also make excellent Gewürztraminer, some cracking Sparkling Wines and even some palate-delighting Lagrein.
Can you give us a list of your local top 5 wines and outline why you think they’re outstanding?
It’s tough to pick just five, but here are a few go-to favourites of the moment:
- Bindi Winery – Some of the most outstanding Pinot and Chardonnay I’ve had the pleasure of drinking.
- Cobaw Ridge Winery – I particularly like their Lagrein. They also make a delicious Rosé, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.
- Knights Granite Hills – A pioneer of the region. Their Riesling is a go-to on the deck at Lake House over Summer.
- Wilimee – A small producer typical of this area. I particularly like winemaker Ben Ranken’s Chardonnays.
- Passing Clouds Winery – Now in the hands of the second generation, we often send guests to their cellar door located in Musk just ten minutes from Lake House to pick up a case or two to take home.